Friday, December 30, 2011

Goal setting strategies

I will be the first to admit that I have avoided setting "New Years Resolutions" for a VERY long time now.
I thought they were pointless.
I didn't believe in them.
I always broke them and felt like a failure.


Lately I have been feeling a bit unproductive and "restless".  I feel like life is passing by so fast and I worry that I am not taking advantage of my mind, my health, and my potential talents, not to mention nuturing and cultivating existing skills and ideas.
I miss the challenge of learning new things.
I miss the excited feelings associated with learning.

I read an interesting article on setting realistic goals.  I would like to share some of the keys things in that article:

#1:  Write your goals down
When you just think about a goal, it's not physically real and easier to forget or toss aside.  The physical act of writing the goal down results is greater success of achieving the goal.
Rather than make some big, long intimidating list of goals, I have decided to make goal notecards and place them in strategic locations around my house (weight loss and healthier eating on the fridge, writing in journal on my bedside table, etc).

#2: Start with the short-term that leads to the long term
I am very guilty of focusing on the long term.  But really, the only way to achieve the big, long term goal is by a series of short term goals.  I will keep this in mind as I make my goal notecards.

#3:  Be specific and detailed
How to you want to be more organized?  What steps will you take?  How can you lose weight?  How can you be more service minded?  What specific events can you volunteer for?

#4:  Measure actions instead of progress
This didn't make sense to me at first, but then the author went on to explain that most people set really aggressive goals with specific timelines (such as fit into my bikini by summer). Then, when the deadline isn't met, they quit trying altogether.  So instead of saying, I want to lose "x" amount of lbs, incorporate actions into your goal by saying I want to do "x" amount of cardio every week and eat at least one fruit or vegetable a day.  That way, when you incorporate these actions into your lifestyle, you feel good because you are reaching your goal and not discouraged because the weight insn't falling off as fast, etc.

and perhaps the most valuable point I got from this article was:
Start with just one goal

We all have a million things we'd like to do, things we'd like to change, improve, etc.
Pick one.  Do it.  Then slowly add in more.  Make it a lifestlye change.

As hard as it is for me to pick just one goal, I am going to follow this advice.  I am going to write all my goals on notecards and then start with one.  When I have comfortably implemented it into my life for at least 3 weeks, I will then get out another notecard.

I am not meaning to be chastizing or critical or anything like that.  Different things work for different people.  I just wanted to share my strategy that I am adopting this year and hope that you all take time to think about things you want to do, try, and experience.

Life is so good.  It truly is a gift.

No comments: