Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pigeon Lake Experience

For one of my biology classes we went on a field trip to Pigeon Lake this weekend. It was a lot of fun! Friday afternoon I went on a "Forest to Bog" excursion. There were some awesome instructors along and I learned a lot about birds, trees, plants, and bogs. We got to hear a grouse "call" (the sound actually comes from the beating of its wings). If you have never heard this, it is amazing! It starts out sounding like a really low thunder but it has a particular cadence. The sound waves are so low that you can hear it from a mile away. If it's close, you can actually feel the vibrations in your chest cavity. The male grouse is doing all this work to attract a female! That evening I also went frogging. We waded around in boggy water with flashlights and learned how to identify the different frogs and the sounds they make. At times, it was almost deafening! All in all, a very fun field trip, despite the rain and cold.



Day two: no shower, rains, etc but LOVING every minute!

3 comments:

Ryan n Heidi said...

Sounds like you had fun! I wouldn't say you had no shower- it rained!

Unknown said...

this sounds like so much fun jode!!!! I love finding frogs....I'm jealous!

Rochelle said...

I have some great pictures from up there as well. I went in Bio 110. Did you go then as well? Glad to hear you had a good time! :)