Tuesday, September 25, 2012

To try and sum up my past week with a simple blog title left me staring at the screen for a full five minutes and not typing a single letter....

Today is one of those days where I feel just a little bit crazy, -like the thoughts in my head are going so many different directions and as much as I would LOVE to pinpoint just one thing to blog about, I cant.

Last weekend we went crabbing and Skott's iphone took a fatal dip in the ocean when he went out after one of our traps that had broke free.  He feels awful, and I feel awful for him. So, we either pay $199 for a new phone/repair OR we sign a new 2-yr contract and pay $199 for the brand new iphone5.  We have been waiting to just sign a new contract anyways, when ours is up next month.  So Skott is without a phone for a few weeks.  It's weird how much you come to rely on technology.... and slightly disturbing at the same time.  I like to think I can function just fine without it, but truth is, I would go NUTS without my lists, calendars, appointments, email, etc. available at the touch of my fingers.  We also use the icloud feature of our phones which means we can share grocery lists, calendars, photos, etc and everything is also uploaded automatically to our computer when we are home (documents, photos, email).  When something like this happens, it always makes me think of the book "Alas, Babylon".  It's an easy read but makes you think about the things we have come to rely on and take for granted.

I had a crazy old lady fill out a complaint form about me last night.  It upset me because these things go in our files, regardless.  And lately management has been on a suspension/firing spree and you never know who they might chose to make an example out of.  Anyways, said crazy lady (you know, the crazy hair and bright red lipstick smeared waaaay outside her lip line crazy) kept playing with her bet, touching her cards, etc.  Two big no-no's.  I kindly (and discretely) asked her three times to stop and the third time she got all indignant and said she was just sitting there and she was NOT doing the above-mentioned things.  I smiled sweetly and said, "Yes, as a matter of fact you were.  Now I am asking you nicely, but the next time it happens, I will have to call my supervisor and they will not be as nice about it".  Oh boy, did I ever cross the line in her book.  She got all upset and left the table and made sure to make a big scene about getting my name and how to spell it, etc.  The rest of the table was appalled.  We were all having a good time up to that point.  The rest of my players all talked to the boss and gave me compliments but still, talk about a fart in a carload of people....

I tried my first attempt at sewing with my new machine (thanks for the early birthday present babe). 

I still need to hem them, but this is one of the curtain panels I made for my sister Josie.  It is all out of extra material I had. I am enjoying this new creative outlet and now that I seem to have finally mastered correct bobbin threading, I think I will enjoy it more :)   I am currently drying the lavender from the pots on my front step.  When its dry, I am going to make some lavender dryer bags.

Skott has been working on driftwood bottle toppers.  He has some beautiful ones completed already!  Our biggest challenge has been finding some kind of sealant that won't darken the wood. Any ideas???

Skott is battling a horrible cold/sinus/sore throat while I am tyring to fight back a terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day...  I woke up and started heating some chai for myself.  Decided to make scottish oatmeal for breakfast.  I switched over the laundry while cooking the oatmeal in the microwave (cuz all of the stovetop pans were dirty).  I was being careful and stirring it every minute so it wouldn't overflow.  Got the toast going, got my first sip of hot chai, turned around to stir the oatmeal and when I opened the microwave, half the oatmeal was exploded all over the place.  I take it out, tray and all and when I set the tray down on the counter, I bump my 20oz mug of chai over and it swamps the entire counter and then proceeds to run off and fill the drawers and one of the cupboards, not to mention soaking the front of the stove and dishwasher and the rug!  Take a deep breath and start cleaning up sticky mess.  Ignore the burned toast and try again.  Clean the microwave and tray, transfer remaining oatmeal into a bowl, and proceed to heat up more chai.  After chai is done, I attempt to make more oatmeal.  This time I use a bigger container and decide to cook in 30 second increments.  I leave the room to go get another load of laundry going and when I come back, yep, more oatmeal all over the microwave.  This time, I did NOT spill my chai when I removed the tray :) and I decided to hell with the oatmeal, I 'll just have toast.  The bright side of this story:  My cupboards, counters, and drawers are sparkling clean and my sore throat was soothed by the chai.  Here's hoping the rest of my day goes better!

I saw an awesome bumper sticker that has become my sort of mantra lately.  It was a palm tree and underneath it it said "No bad days".
On days like today, I repeat that over and over in my head -"No bad days at the beach".  It helps me shake off the "small stuff" and keep the bigger picture in focus.  Despite all the crap things life throws at us, we will always have eachother and our walks on the beach to keep things in focus.

2 comments:

Ryan n Heidi said...

Hmmm...I would have dubbed this post, "The light at the end of the "no-good-rotten-day". Thanks sis! Glad I'm not the only one Karma likes to tease and poke on occassion! Love ya!

The McIntire Family said...

Oh Jodi-a Fart in a carload of people?! Too funny!!!! I laughed out loud. I'm sorry you had such a bad day and some not so fun days lately. People are mean and just know that some day Karma will bite her in the butt---It amazes me how people lie to try to get ahead or hurt someone else---People Suck! Love you and call me if you ever need to talk.