Thursday, February 25, 2010

Smalley's Caribbean Barbeque

Skott and I went to Stillwater, MN on Valentine's weekend.  It was super cold that day but we had fun wandering around through all the shops.  For a late lunch we decided to try Smalley's Caribbean Barbeque.
We started off with some amazing oatmeal stout and some corn fritters for an appetizer.  So far, so good!
Then the food came:
Now I will be the first to admit that my taste buds have gotten a bit "soft" since moving away from the Tacoma area.  You just can't find good, authentic SPICY anything inland.  I'm talking the real heat, not Tabasco crap.  Anyways, we ordered our food "hot".  Never ever had a problem saying that in the last 6 years.  Well, the waitress wasn't kidding when she said the spice recipes are authentic.  Lucky Skott, he took the first bite..... and almost choked.  So I was prepared when I dug into my brisket. 
 I thought I was prepared.
  Then I made the mistake of breathing in just a little right before the food touched my tongue!  Oh boy!

The food was DELICIOUS!  Hot (spicy) as hell, but VERY GOOD!  Once we got over the initial shock (either that or we completely fried all our taste buds) we enjoyed our meal very much.  We both love trying new things.  We each had an amazing sweet potato side dish that was to die for.  I had grilled veggies with curry sauce and Skott had shrimp, chicken, and plank fries.  By the time our meal was done, we were both sweating profusely.  Bravo Smalley's! 
We will be back.
Only next time we are ordering the "mild" version.

No comments: