Monday, October 12, 2009

Big giant cones

Skott was a little embarrassed of the picture I posted of him, so I promised to post equally embarrassing ones of myself to even the score.
This is what happens when I am left to my own devices after spending too many hours in trees lab:



This semester I am taking a Trees/Shrubs class that is really tough! So far we have learned 93 species of native trees and shrubs. Challenging, but atleast we went out and identified live. The rest of the semester we are learning native and non-native trees, about 30-40 per week. Identification tools consist of dried out specimens on cards (you can actually see them along the wall in the background), and all these different cones.
Now, when the prof was lecturing, he was really emphasizing how big the cones are on some trees. I thought, yah, ok they are big. What, like the size of my hand....
Then I walked into lab.
These are some GIANT CONES!
too bad I haven't studied enough to tell you what trees they are from, eh? haha

2 comments:

Franson Funny Farm said...

Those are some HUGE cones! We didn't have pictures like those to identify trees. We had to learn them from a textbook when we couldn't go outside. Drawings in a textbook just aren't the same as the real thing. Good luck!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

those things ARE giant!!!!