Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bread

A friend of ours shared a wonderful bread recipe with us. 
Thanks Molly! -I think?  I don't know, I have a weakness for good bread but I like this recipe because it keeps for a long time in the fridge and you can make whatever sized loaf you need so you don't have a bunch sitting around calling you from the kitchen.

This was my first attempt.  We used them as bread bowls for cheddar broccoli soup on a cold winter day.
heavenly

I have made several more batches since then, each time experimenting with something new.  I did a rosemary and garlic batch that was fabulous.  Right now I am trying a batch with Guiness as the liquid instead of water.  Not sure how that will turn out with the yeast activation, etc but I will keep you posted!

Here's a link to the website with the recipe:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?page=9

 There is quite a bit of information here but the recipe I have been using is:
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
6 1/2 cups flour
3 cups water

We use a pizza stone and the bottom of our broiler pan for the water in the oven.

My next step:  tackle foccacia

Update:
So the Guiness beer idea -not so much.  It made the bread an interesting color, but NONE of the flavor was there.
Last night I tried a regular recipe with big chunks of sharp cheddar cheese and some jalapenos mixed in.  That was amazing.  Oh, and I put a little of the jalapeno juice in the dough.  Tasty!
Tonight I am making little bun sized loaves to use for tilapia sandwiches....  Anyone hungry?

1 comment:

Ryan n Heidi said...

Oh YUM! I have a horrible weakness for bread and your blog just made me hungry....
Focaccia is awesome and I am sure you'll be able to master that recipe. Think you could move a bit closer to Boise and share the goodies??
Love ya!